5 Ways to GO BIG Today
I walked into a karaoke ambush! Students and parents alike were singing important musical compositions like- “Call Me Maybe,” “We are the Champions,” and “Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting” and it was an amazingly fun experience. That is, until the entire room began to chant my name. Every bone in my body wanted to bolt but when a pastor hears students chant his name, he shall not leave. Trust me. It’s in Leviticus. I think.
So I bid adieu to my pride, dignity and reputation as I nervously grabbed the mic. The chosen lyrics flashed on the big screen. The tune: “Achy Breaky Heart.” The DJ went for the mother-load of all tacky country songs. The other concerning aspect of this moment was the number of smartphones that seemed to pop up like petunias on a spring day. I said to myself: OK. Go big. If you’re going to lose all dignity, lose it with great enthusiasm.
This is the spirit of Paul’s challenge to present our bodies as a living sacrifice. Live out your sacrifice to the glory of God. This is the audacity that will change a culture. When it comes to loving God we should, with even greater enthusiasm, “Go big.” Take the leap. Forget safety. Forget dignity. Leverage your courage. Say the extra sentence God is asking you to say. Give a little more away. Fight a little harder for the weak and see what happens! What if we lived everyday like this as believers, parents, disciples, coaches, and mentors? It would be a game-changer. That’s a fact. This type of holy daring requires vulnerability and a brave heart, but the rewards are far greater than the risks.
Here are 5 ways to Go Big that you can start doing today!
1 We can GO BIG by giving more than we’re comfortable giving. Here’s an inventory question: Who needs your money, your clothes, your time more than you do? I’m sure several names have flashed in your mind when you read that question. Why not meet at least one persons need. It could change the course of a person’s life. Many times a degree of change can help a person go further.
2. We can GO BIG by using words to express love. Who needs to hear that you love them? Next to Jesus, the word love is the strongest weapon in our arsenal against the enemy. Why don’t we say it more? Some say, “Well, with all the things I do they should know that I love them without me having to say it.” I’m reminded of the classic Broadway musical “Fiddler on the Roof.” The old couple– Tyve and Golde come to the realization of that their arranged marriage actually gave birth to love. They sing:
Do you love me?
It doesn’t change a thing
But even so
After twenty-five years
It’s nice to know.
At that moment in the musical we are all in on the actual truth of the song: Actually it changes a lot.
3, We can GO BIG by taking irrational risks for Jesus.
Do you want to hear a sentence that is never said in Heaven?
“I wished I wouldn’t have risked so much for Jesus.”
When life is over and all the pieces of our lives are neatly tucked away for good. The only thing that’s really left are the risks we took and the brave acts we achieved for the sake of Jesus.
4. We can GO BIG by saying that one other sentence.
I’m a fairly good sentence arranger. And I am very comfortable speaking before a larger group. One thing I’m still working on is personal “care-fronting” or “truthing” it. These two coined words from a few more brilliant minds describe the act of saying tough words for the benefit of the listener.
Proverbs 27:6 applies: Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy.
Me? I don’t like the idea of causing friend sand family pain but ultimately a true friend will speak truth even if it hurts.
5. We can GO BIG by going small.
Amazingly, one of the characteristic of people who live large in the Lord is the get useless things, needless activities, and corrupt companions out of their lives. It’s multiplication by subtraction. The more margin you have in your life, the more room you have for the things you were born to do. You can start today by:
- Cutting a subscription service
- Selling the dang toy (the camper you haven’t used in 6 months, the boat, the extra car)
- Get rid of the storage unit junk. (And in so doing the monthly payment for the ball and chain rental agreement)
- Donate your fat clothes/skinny clothes/embarrassing clothes (whatever the case may be) and lighten your closet. I makes your wardrobe decision making every morning a whole lot easier.
These are just a few ways you can GO BIG. You have only one life, one chance, one journey. Why not make it big? At the end of your life you will have fewer regrets.